Posted on 29th July 2021 at 15:03
Electrical Safety First and many other commentators have said they are disappointed that the recently published Building Safety Bill doesn’t propose mandatory electrical safety checks in high-rise buildings.
Earlier this year a tower block in East London was badly damaged and residents were evacuated after a fire caused by a faulty consumer unit.
In many high-rise blocks there will be a mix of privately rented, social and owner-occupied flats. Without mandatory electrical safety checks for all of them electrical safety and the associated fire risks can depend on the type of tenure for each flat and the awareness of occupants.